camel-dev mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Camel manual in pdf....
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:12:03 GMT
#5 +1 agree

Hadrian

On 06/27/2013 10:07 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
> I vote for #5
>
> It will just keep haunting us in the future. With new problems etc.
>
> Its 2013 and people read online docs / google / stackoverflow / watch
> videos / etc.
> The camel pdf manual is not a good manual but just a big dump of the
> web site, thats not readable, and I dont see any people use it.
>
> And in the last 2.11.0 release we had the manual 2 times, eg with
> 2.11.0 and 2.11-SNAPSHOT as version. But nobody noticed during the
> testing phase etc. Also a little hint that the manual is not really
> used from our releases.
>

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> With the latest confluence (and also once they actually update to 5.1.x), the Camel
manual is no longer producible.   The main problem is the javascript that is used to format
all the {code} and {snippet} macros.   The old version of confluence rendered them into static
HTML which prince handled fine.   The new versions require some javascript to render it.

>> I tried updating the html for the manual to add the javascript into it and pass the
--javascript flag to prince.   With the 8.1r3 version of prince I had, it would segfault.
  Updating to 8.1r5 (latest from prince) goes into an infinite loop.    Thus, there are a
few options:

>> 1) When converting from book-in-one-page.html to the manual.html, we can try and
adjust the <script>  tags that confluence now generates to convert them to something
prince can render.   There may be a different javascript based highlighter that prince can
handle.   Not really sure, would require a bit of investigation and experimentation.

>> 2) Similar to (1), I could try updating the CXF site-exporter to use a different
syntax highlighter.  I currently just use the same one as confluence to make sure it works.

>> 3) Experiment with different HTML -> PDF renderers.  There are several out there,
not sure if any of them can handle the javascript any better.

#5 is the "best" option for us.    I don't recommend #4.    I'm personally in favor of #5
as I really don't see much "value" in the PDF manual at this point.