camel-dev mailing list archives

From Henryk Konsek <hekon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS CAMEL 3.0] weekly IRC chat at 02/12/2013 7:00PM - 8:00PM CET
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 11:35:56 GMT
> Most popular camel syntaxes do not support extensions by 3rd party elements (I mean Java
and XML).
> Everything then goes directly to core.

Extending Scala DSL is trivial as Scala provides traits and implicit
conversions.

As i mentioned already in Java is doable if we deprecate chained
builder syntax like...

from(...).marshal().xstream().to(...)

... in the favor of nested builders and static imports...

import static org.apache.camel.dataformat.XStreamDslBuilder.*;
from(...).marshal(xstream()).to(...);

...and parametrized DataFormatDefinition (with static imports for
syntactic sugar)...

import static org.apache.camel.dataformat.XStreamDslBuilder.xstream;
from(...).marshal(xstream).setXStream(...).to(...);

The bigger issue is the XML DSL syntax. Maybe additional namespace per
component will solve the issue? But I'm not so sure if this approach
will address our requirements.

> Camel core should be separated from DSL.
> DSL should be built on top of core, not otherwise.

+1

--
Henryk Konsek
http://henryk-konsek.blogspot.com