camel-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [Camel 3 discussion] Components releases
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 07:09:48 GMT
I am -1 for separate component releases. There are two problems:

1. Each component release needs a vote. So with the 100+ components we
would have 100 votes instead of one vote for a camel release.
Of course it is less in practice as not every component is released
every time but still a lot of votes.

2. We need to support each release of a component for a certain time and
make sure it is compatible to camel core and other components in various
releases.
So a support request may read like: I am using camel-core 3.0.1 with
camel-jms 2.5.4 and camel-jetty 3.2.2 but sometimes get exception xy.
This is quite hard to support.
Compare this to people who now say I am using camel 2.2.10 with
camel-jms and camel-jetty. Even my proposal would make support a lot harder.

I think it makes sense to have minor releases every let´s say 3 months
and bugfix releases for each supported minor release also about every
1-3 months. So if we support a minor release for a year
it means we have about 4 minor releases to support in parallel.

If we would theoretically release every component every 3 months or even
faster it would mean we have a gigantic number of branches and version
combinations to support. This is not manageable in my opinion.

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de