camel-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION]Camel Karaf/Blueprint Support Roadmap
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:15:10 GMT

On Oct 15, 2012, at 7:09 PM, Scott England-Sullivan <sully6768@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Please disregard my last note.  PIBCAC... :)
>
> If we say state that we support Aries Blueprint 1.0.0, the only
> environment that currently offers that is Karaf 2.3.0.  Are we ready
> to state that Camel supports Karaf 2.3.0?  I know it is a stretch but
> inevitably endusers will make the leap.

Well,   with my Talend hat on, I'm certainly happy to say that Talend has invested a lot of
time and effort testing Camel 2.10.2,  CXF 2.7.0, and Karaf 2.3.0 together.   We have products
coming out shortly that will likely use that combination.  We certainly feel that that combination
works well together and is supportable.

That said, we don't test ALL the components, just the stuff we support and our customers use.
 There could still be issues with some of the components, but the core and basic use cases
seem to work well.

:-)

Dan

> ses
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 15, 2012, at 4:53 PM, Scott England-Sullivan <sully6768@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That was my thought until I ran the camel-itest-karaf project with
>>> Karaf 2.3.0-SNAPSHOT which generates a whole host of errors.  More
>>> investigation is required but it would seem that Camel, as of right
>>> now, either supports Karaf 2.2.9 or 2.3.0.
>>
>> Well, *THAT* is a completely different issue than a blueprint version discussion.
  There are a LOT LOT more changes in Karaf 2.3 than just Blueprint 1.0.0.   It could be the
specs jars behaving differently, blueprint, proxy, asm, jmx, pax-web, jetty, etc…    2.3.0
was way way to long coming and contains a lot more changes than it really should have. (IMO)

>> IMO, it's most likely a test harness issue.   Talend has spent the last two months
doing very extensive testing of CXF and Camel on the Karaf 2.3 snapshots.   Thus, I'm fairly
confident that Camel (and CXF) works fine with Karaf 2.3.   The internal test harnesses we
use for our test suites have been updated for Karaf 2.3.   I don't know what may be required
to get things working well for Camel.     For example, with 2.3, the customer jre.properties
file we use in the camel test harness is definitely not needed and may even be causing problems.

>> It's definitely something we need to look at, but is a completely different issue
than blueprint version support.

>> Dan

range we currently use for the aries blueprint stuff is:

I think we can already claim that we support 1.0.0.    Thus, it's more of a question of #2.

this point, I think the answer is "something close to nothing".  However, it would prevent
easy deployment on the way more widely used Karaf 2.2.x.   Thus, I would say there is no point
in doing it at this time.

--
Daniel Kulp