camel-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION]Camel Karaf/Blueprint Support Roadmap
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 18:31:53 GMT

On Oct 15, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Scott England-Sullivan <sully6768@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> There have been several requests and recommendations in various threads to
> upgrade camel-blueprint to Aries Blueprint 1.0.0.  Having been involved
> with several of them recently I started to review the impacts of this
> change.  I could be over-thinking this but I don't believe this upgrade
> should happen without a simultaneous upgrade of the Camel Karaf support to
> 2.3.0 as that is the first release to offer support for Aries Blueprint
> 1.0.0.
>
> This of course carries a risk of breaking backwards compatibility with
> Camel 2.10.x and its support of Karaf 2.2.9.
>
> Therefore I wanted to bring this forward to a larger audience and get input
> on whether or not this is a change desired for Camel 2.11 or is it
> something to look at further down the road.

There are two different parts to this:

1) Supporting 1.0.0

2) Dropping support for 0.3

I really don't think the two of them are mutually exclusive.   The version range we currently
use for the aries blueprint stuff is:

org.apache.aries.blueprint;version="[0.2,2)"

and I know we've done fairly extensive testing of Camel with 1.0.0.  Thus, I think we can
already claim that we support 1.0.0.    Thus, it's more of a question of #2.

The real question is "What do we gain by dropping support for 0.3?"   At this point, I think
the answer is "something close to nothing".  However, it would prevent easy deployment on
the way more widely used Karaf 2.2.x.   Thus, I would say there is no point in doing it at
this time.

--
Daniel Kulp