camel-dev mailing list archives

From Scott England-Sullivan <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION]Camel Karaf/Blueprint Support Roadmap
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 20:53:02 GMT
That was my thought until I ran the camel-itest-karaf project with
Karaf 2.3.0-SNAPSHOT which generates a whole host of errors.  More
investigation is required but it would seem that Camel, as of right
now, either supports Karaf 2.2.9 or 2.3.0.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Daniel Kulp <> wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Scott England-Sullivan <> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> There have been several requests and recommendations in various threads to
>> upgrade camel-blueprint to Aries Blueprint 1.0.0.  Having been involved
>> with several of them recently I started to review the impacts of this
>> change.  I could be over-thinking this but I don't believe this upgrade
>> should happen without a simultaneous upgrade of the Camel Karaf support to
>> 2.3.0 as that is the first release to offer support for Aries Blueprint
>> 1.0.0.
>> This of course carries a risk of breaking backwards compatibility with
>> Camel 2.10.x and its support of Karaf 2.2.9.
>> Therefore I wanted to bring this forward to a larger audience and get input
>> on whether or not this is a change desired for Camel 2.11 or is it
>> something to look at further down the road.
> There are two different parts to this:
> 1) Supporting 1.0.0
> 2) Dropping support for 0.3
> I really don't think the two of them are mutually exclusive.   The version range we currently
use for the aries blueprint stuff is:
> org.apache.aries.blueprint;version="[0.2,2)"
> and I know we've done fairly extensive testing of Camel with 1.0.0.  Thus, I think we
can already claim that we support 1.0.0.    Thus, it's more of a question of #2.
> The real question is "What do we gain by dropping support for 0.3?"   At this point,
I think the answer is "something close to nothing".  However, it would prevent easy deployment
on the way more widely used Karaf 2.2.x.   Thus, I would say there is no point in doing it
at this time.
> --
> Daniel Kulp
> -
> Talend Community Coder -

Scott England-Sullivan
Apache Camel Committer
Principal Consultant / Sr. Architect | Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Web: |
Twitter: sully6768

View raw message