camel-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Müller <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Hide 'issues' tab in the Camel-Extra Google Project site
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2012 22:11:30 GMT
Hello Henryk!

Please find my comments inline...

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Henryk Konsek <> wrote:

> > I assume that the outcome of the discussion at [1] will be we cannot use
> > the Apache mailing list for mail notifications from Apache Extra / Camel
> > Extra.
> > I'm not sure what the outcome will be for the documentation, we already
> > have in the Apache Confluence WIKI for Camel Extra components. May be we
> > have to move it to Camel Extra. But we will wait for the final
> decision...
> From my point of view, Camel Extra needs to be settled somewhere. At
> Apache or not at Apache.
Yes. That's what we did in the last weeks at Camel Extra with good success.

> My pain about the Camel Extra is that it is not equally maintained as
> regular Camel. I endorse Camel to my clients and then I need to
> explain them why Hibernate or Db4o components are not released with
> the latest Camel.

This is understandable. Than it's your job to explain that camel-hibernate
and camel-db40 are maintained by a different community. And this made a
good progress in the last weeks. So hopefully we will see the Camel Extra
releases more regularly than in the past.

> All clients/companies I worked for (including the
> one I currently work for) don't care if they use Apache or LGPL
> licensed jars. They don't get the ASF projects policies - they just
> want to use the Camel to integrate their stuff.

May be this is a bad attitude. What, if you use one of the many other Camel
components hosted at GitHub or somewhere else? As Hadrian mentioned, there
will not be a "one stop for all Camel components" solution. But as
mentioned before, for Canel Extra we made a good progress and I'm sure we
will see Camel Extra releases which are more in sync with the normal Camel

> From their point of
> view listing Hibernate component as the Camel documentation page [1]
> and then not releasing it's latest version with new version of regular
> Camel means that something is wrong with the release cycle the Camel
> itself.
We can make it more clear, that camel-hibernate and other components are
not part of the official Camel release and has to be released later
somewhere else. Or we can move the documentation to Camel Extra...

> For me (and other Camel Extra users) the most important thing is to be
> sure that Extra releases are as reliable as Standard Camel releases.
> And are in sync with them.
Yes. We are now in a good position to promise this.

> If ASF policy tells that Camel Extra stuff is not welcome at Apache
> infrastructure, we will use some other infrastructure. If Extra
> notifications or Jira tickets are problem for Apache infra guys -
> let's screw it and focus on the Camel Extra development itself.
It's not the Apache infra guys.

> Have a nice weekend :) .
You too.