camel-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FEEDBACK] - The small details in the logs when stopping Camel
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2012 13:47:31 GMT
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Willem Jiang <willem.jiang@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/15/12 11:29 PM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Camel 2.10 is about to be cut soon.
>>
>> And there is a few changes in the logs when Camel stops.
>>
>> 1)
>> There is a new TypeConverterRegistry utilization log, that prints stats
>> from the type converter.
>>
>> 2)
>> The uptime is now on the same line as the last log line
>>

>> [                      Thread-3] DefaultTypeConverter           INFO
>>  TypeConverterRegistry utilization[attempts=67, hits=67, misses=0,
>> failures=0] mappings[total=175, misses=0]
>> [                      Thread-3] DefaultCamelContext            INFO
>>  Apache Camel 2.10-SNAPSHOT (CamelContext: camel-1) is shutdown in 0.088
>> seconds. Uptime 26.814 seconds.
>>

>> Ad 1)
>> The type converter is used a lot in Camel. And since this works both
>> implicit and explicit, then you may not be aware of the utilization of the
>> type conversion. For example you may have many missed attempts, which
>> impacts a little.
>>
>> I set this log at INFO level so I could easier run all the Camel tests,
>> and
>> then grep the logs, and find if there was a lot of misses etc.
>>
>> We could lower this to DEBUG level, if people would think the log line
>> confuses people more, eg operations people looking at this log line etc.
>

> Maybe we can add some flag to let user chose which log level it will be use.
> I think the INFO level could be useful for the developer, but DEBUG level
> could be useful for the operator who need monitor the states of camel
> routes.

Yeah but we got many options/flags already. And its just a minor
detail when shutting down Camel.
For developers it may be a useful detail, as they can spot problems if
the misses counter is high.

>> Ad 2)
>> I moved the Uptime to the last log line. We can move it back to just
>> before
>> the last log line if people want it on its own log line.
>>
> It could be better if camel can accept the command of Uptime. It's a daily
> command for the administrator.

Do you refer to the Karaf commands?
The context-list / context-info shows that.

But we could have a camel:uptime command if that makes sense.
But the context-list shows a nice uptime column.

You can get the uptime over JMS as its an attribute on the CamelContextMBean.

--
Claus Ibsen