camel-dev mailing list archives

From Willem Jiang <willem.ji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FEEDBACK] - The small details in the logs when stopping Camel
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 01:26:55 GMT
On 6/15/12 11:29 PM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Camel 2.10 is about to be cut soon.
>
> And there is a few changes in the logs when Camel stops.
>
> 1)
> There is a new TypeConverterRegistry utilization log, that prints stats
> from the type converter.
>
> 2)
> The uptime is now on the same line as the last log line
>

> [                      Thread-3] DefaultTypeConverter           INFO
>   TypeConverterRegistry utilization[attempts=67, hits=67, misses=0,
> failures=0] mappings[total=175, misses=0]
> [                      Thread-3] DefaultCamelContext            INFO
>   Apache Camel 2.10-SNAPSHOT (CamelContext: camel-1) is shutdown in 0.088
> seconds. Uptime 26.814 seconds.
>

> Ad 1)
> The type converter is used a lot in Camel. And since this works both
> implicit and explicit, then you may not be aware of the utilization of the
> type conversion. For example you may have many missed attempts, which
> impacts a little.
>
> I set this log at INFO level so I could easier run all the Camel tests, and
> then grep the logs, and find if there was a lot of misses etc.
>
> We could lower this to DEBUG level, if people would think the log line
> confuses people more, eg operations people looking at this log line etc.

Maybe we can add some flag to let user chose which log level it will be
use. I think the INFO level could be useful for the developer, but DEBUG
level could be useful for the operator who need monitor the states of
camel routes.

> Ad 2)
> I moved the Uptime to the last log line. We can move it back to just before
> the last log line if people want it on its own log line.

It could be better if camel can accept the command of Uptime. It's a
daily command for the administrator.

--
Willem