camel-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Remove Camel HTTP component in Camel 3.0?
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2012 17:18:47 GMT
Am 09.04.2012 18:21, schrieb Claus Ibsen:

> Thus, from my perspective, there is no difference between this and the
> iBatis case.   In neither case is there a community behind the component to
> support it.   With iBatis, folks need to move to MyBatis.  With http client,
> they need to move to 4.x.       I'm fine keeping the 3.x version around for
> a little while to help people move, but for 3.0, we really need to make sure
> the DEFAULT is the version that is actually supported by the communities.
>
> There is *no* DEFAULT in Camel. A component is just a component.

I think fresh users will see a component named http as a default for
http even if in theory all components are equal.
So I think it makes sense to offer the http4 component as http in the
long run. On the other hand doing that now would confuse people
and eventually break existing code.

So I think the clean way is to announce now that we will switch the http
component to the http 4 client in camel 3.0 and then do the switch with
camel 3.0.
So people can already prepare and the real change happens in a major
version where people expect such a thing.

If people want to have the httpclient 3 for longer we could name it
http3 in camel 3.0 but I am not usre this is necessary.

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de