camel-dev mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Schedule for starting development on Camel 3.0.0
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:13:00 GMT
I gave this some thought during the past days and here's what I suggest:

* trunk (camel-2.10.0) already has a bunch of fixes, new features,
components, so as Christian said, it makes a bunch of sense to release
on the regular schedule and not start 3.0 before this release. I think
first half of Apr is a good target and I volunteer to do the release.
Claus is right, there are a lot of things that require documentation
(some of it is in my lap) and we should focus on that.

* We know that 3.0 will break compatibility, hopefully not a lot and
with easy solutions. We also know that it will probably take some 6
months before we could release 3.0.

* if we'll need to have a 2.11 we'll probably only know in 2-3 months,
but with 2.9.x and 2.10.x still supported, probably not.

My preference would be to:
* release 2.10
* after that immediately create two branches 2.10.x and 2.11.x off the tag.
* keep trunk for 3.0 development
* the 2.11.x branch we could discard later on if not needed.

Alternatively we could leave trunk for 2.11 and create a 3.0 branch and
merge it later on into trunk, that'd work too.

We already know a lot of improvements we want to make for 3.0, we should
probably start adding details now, and use the next few weeks before the
2.10 release to create a roadmap.

My $0.02,
Hadrian

--