camel-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Unify prefixes http, jetty, servlet?
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 14:54:32 GMT
Sorry the url without prefix was wrong of course. It should rather read:
from("http:///foo/bar")

Not sure if this is correct. The idea is to write a http: url without a
server and port name. This would then trigger the usage of the servlet
component instead of the jetty component.

We should still have the other prefixes but why not allow to configure
consumers using http:... it would match nicely to the concept of
convention over configuration.

Basically all new camel users stumble over the problem that http: is
only for consumers and that for jetty you have to write jetty:http://
which also looks quite strange. I am not sure if jetty:http: is a valid
URL at all.

Christian

Am 05.12.2011 14:41, schrieb Claus Ibsen:

> This is not a good idea.
>
> We have 5 http component with Camel
> - http
> - http4
> - jetty
> - servlet
> - ahc
>
> Some supports producer only, consumer only, or both
>

> Also this would deviate from how endpoints and components works in Camel.
> The scheme always refer to the component name. So its easy to remember.
>

> For example in you example
>
> from("/foo/bar")
>
> What does this refer to? You say its a servlet. But for others this
> could just as well look like a file path.
>
> So having to explicit define the component makes it all clear to the reader
> from("servlet:/foo/bar")
> from("file:/foo/bar")
>

> Also when you must define a component name, then there will be no
> clashes in the future, as the component name is unique.
>

>> Christian
>>
>> --
>> Christian Schneider
>> http://www.liquid-reality.de