camel-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <>
Subject [DISCUSS] - Trunk as Camel 3.0
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:13:56 GMT

I would like to propose that Camel source code currently on trunk is
to be Camel 3.0.0.
And the current code on the 2.8.x branch is to be used for the 2.x
lifetime of Camel.

The reason for this can be summarized as:
1) All the API changes on trunk, and still to be done API changes
2) Preserve Camel 2.x API stability
3) Camel 2.x continue as usual
4) Camel 2.x is already 2+ years old.
5) The community would expect work on Camel 3.0 starting soon.

By letting the trunk code be targeted for Camel 3.0.0, we open the
ability to refactor the API more freely,
and without causing trouble for our large group of 2.x Camel users,
who are not expecting API changes in the camel-core at all.

Likewise the latest merges on the 2.8.x branch is already including
new features and other improvements,
which is a good offset for Camel 2.9.0. We can of course backport "the
missings" from trunk such as:
new components, and other improvements, new features, which we think
is worthwhile
and that the community would like to have in the Camel 2.9 release.

Claus Ibsen
Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews
Author of Camel in Action:

View raw message