camel-dev mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] - Trunk as Camel 3.0
Date Sat, 24 Sep 2011 13:48:08 GMT
I don't think we're debating if, we're debating when. I get your point
and I would agree if this was any different than before. The reality
though is that *every* single minor release of Camel was *not* 100%
backwards compatible. We absolutely strive for backward compatibility
and 2.9.0 should not be worse. We should be 100% compatible in patch
releases though.

The reality is that when we'll start working on 3.x we won't have it for
at least 9 months, most likely. Nobody will migrate to a 3.0-Mx
milestone release. It's also likely that many won't migrate to a new 2.x
while we actively work on 3.x. In the patch releases we only have a
small subset of the new features on trunk.

I know some are kinda tired of 2.x and want to look at and talk about
the next great thing. We had this discussion a year ago and promises
were made that 3.0 will be out in Q1 2011. We don't yet know how 3.0
will look like, although many have their ideas. We know that we want a
cleaner api, we know we want it leaner and we know that we want shorter
build times and other few things. We can easily continue to work on that
and the other features that come with every release until we figure out
how 3.0 will look like. Doing it now is, imho, a distraction.

My $0.02,
Hadrian

On 09/24/2011 08:18 AM, Hiram Chirino wrote:
> The fact that it's not 100% compatible IS why it's not a good idea to
> call it 2.x.  The point of version numbering schemes are to reflect
> the compatibility between releases.  If trunk is not a major release,
> I don't know what is.  And yes I would hope that the 3.x line tries to
> keep as much backward compatible support with 2.x as possible.
> Otherwise, you've got a brand new product in your hands and your 2.x
> users will have a big wall to climb to to upgrade to the 3.x.  As for
> dropping deprecated APIs, I'd do that in a 3.1 or once we verify that
> migration to 3.x is fully backward compatible from 2.x (I'm sure we
> will miss some compatibility stuff in the first few releases of 3.x).
>

> Regards,
> Hiram
>
> FuseSource
> Web: http://fusesource.com/
>

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Christian Schneider
> <chris@die-schneider.net>  wrote:
>> I just talked to Dan and Hadrian about this idea. The problem is that
>> however we would call such a release people would take it as kind of a
>> milestone and it would probably not be used much.
>>
>> So it is probably better to use the 2.9 and perhaps 2.10 release for that.
>> The 2.x naming will suggest that it is mostly compatible and we can mention
>> in the release not that it is not 100% compatbile.
>>
>> For people who do not want the changes we can use the 2.8.x branch. So we
>> could keep porting back some improvements like Dan did for people who want
>> to stay 100% compatible.
>>
>> Christian
>>

>> Am 23.09.2011 16:43, schrieb Christian Schneider:
>>>
>>> Basically that is a good idea. I also thought about a similar solution. I
>>> would only not like to call it milestone as that typically implies that it
>>> is instable. No sane admin will deploy a milestone release in production.
>>> How about 3.0.0-compat or similar. So we could have one or more releases
>>> of this that are fully production ready but will still contain the
>>> @Deprecated classes. Then we can release Camel 3.0.0 that simply removes
>>> these.
>>>
>>> Christian

API