camel-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf 2.2x, 2.3.x and Spring version
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 06:51:07 GMT
I'm agree Andreas.

It's exactly the purpose of Cave: to be able to decouple some "features"
(like Spring*) from the core and the distribution.

However, Cave is not fully ready, so we have to find a way waiting Cave.

I can see two:
1/ stay with Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE in 2.2.x branch, and provide the
Spring* features (I'm working on it). As Freeman said, it might work
even if it's not the target version for Camel 2.8.1. It also means that
"previous" Camel versions (like 2.7.x or 2.8.0) don't work with Karaf 2.2.3.
2/ rollback to Spring 3.0.5.RELEASE, and release Karaf 2.2.4 (and
following) with this Spring version.

To be honest, I would prefer 2 as it means that Camel 2.7.x, 2.8.x and
CXF 2.4.x won't work starting from Karaf 2.2.3.

So +1 for 2.

On 09/05/2011 08:23 AM, Andreas Pieber wrote:
> TBH I'm not happy that we can't upgrade a micro version of a referenced
> library in a micro release of karaf. TBH I would rather prefer staying with
> 3.0.5 for the entire 2.x branch than keeping 2.3 for a micro dep upgrade.
> In addition we should learn from this and completely remove all features
> from karaf. Even http, spring wrapper... Those should be maintained by the
> karaf team but not distributed in karaf core. They could be loaded from a
> cave repo or from any other method we've discussed in the last time. Because
> of this situation I think it is very important that we get rid of the
> problem in 3.0 for once and all.
> Knd regards Andreas
> On Sep 5, 2011 7:09 AM, "Jean-Baptiste Onofré"<>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> as you have certainly seen, we have an issue with Karaf 2.2.3 and Camel.
>> In Karaf 2.2.3, we upgraded to Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE, whereas Camel still
>> uses Spring 3.0.5.RELEASE.
>> As Spring is major component for CXF, Camel, etc. So, we should
>> "address" a Spring update with a lot of attention.
>> I propose:
>> - to rollback Spring to 3.0.5.RELEASE in Karaf 2.2.x.
>> - to create a Karaf 2.3.x branch, exactly a copy of 2.2.x, but with
>> update to Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE
>> - in both branches, we add all Spring features to cover all Spring
>> bundles. We have few issues to fix in both branches and I propose to
>> release 2.2.4 and 2.3.0 soon.
>> - update Karaf 3.0.x (trunk) to Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE
>> WDYT ?
>> Regards
>> JB
>> --