camel-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] - Remove or reduce ANT support for Camel examples
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 16:17:29 GMT

I can't speak for maintaining the Ant scripts for the examples.  I can
imagine they're a PITA to maintain, and I'm certainly not about to
offer to do so.

But in the context of this, I'd like to mention that I'm not a Maven
user.  This isn't a matter of personal preference; I do my development
offline on a laptop with no network access, for various reasons
involving IP and security.  I typically work with local standalone
servers -- mail servers, XMPP servers, database servers, etc.

This means my usual method of installing a required third-party .jar
is to download it on another machine, copy it over to the laptop and
install it manually.  This is among the reasons I rant sometimes about
dependence on third-party packages: it gets troublesome to do this
when dependency runs five levels deep.  Reading someone saying, "Why
don't you just use X?" often makes me cringe.

I'm willing to believe that I'm one of a very small number of people
(can it be as small as 1?) who develop this way with Camel.  After
all, most people would develop a Camel application in an environment
more similar to their deployment environment.  But I'd like to offer
it as something to think about when one is inclined to say, "It's
okay, our users will just use Maven anyway."

View raw message