camel-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] - Camel 2.9 - JMX and reducing Spring depdendency
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 06:53:25 GMT
Hi

Now that Camel 2.8 is getting close to being released. Its in vote.

I took a bit time to writeup a design note about some goals for Camel 2.9.
At first it please go read this wiki page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAMEL/Camel+2.9+-+JMX+and+reducing+Spring+dependency

One of the reason I think this is a good idea is that Apache Camel is
such a versatile project, being used in any kind of environment out
there.
We have end users who are keen on using JEE standards with CDI and
whatnot. And they are most likely not using Spring Framework as JEE
offers similar servies.

Likewise OSGi blueprint is being a very compelling alternative to
spring-dm in the world of OSGi.

And another reason is to keep Camel lightweight. So being able to
reduce the runtime JARs to
only camel-core + slf4j API means we are as light as we can get.
Currently you need 8+ Spring JARs just to enable and use JMX which is
way overkill.

And yes it will be full backwards compatible, so people can keep on
using the Spring JMX annotations if they like.

Any thoughts?

--
Claus Ibsen