camel-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Closing down for the 2.8.0 release
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 05:55:16 GMT
Hi Willem,

I can explain a bit from my experience as a user of Camel and CXF at my
former employer regarding patch releases.

We updated our stack every 6 to 8 months. With CXF this mostly simply
worked. When some bug was detected we could create an issue and help fix
it. It went into the next patch release and we could
update to this one instead of the feature release.

With Camel it was different. Every new release had a lot of new features
and changes. So we almost every time found a bug in the release that
prevented us to switch or that was a problem in production that needed
to be addressed. What went very well in Camel was reporting and fixing
bugs. I think Camel is probably the project I used where fixes to bugs
were made fastest. The problem was that the fix was only on trunk. Then
later it was incorporated into the new version. So my first strategy was
to update to the most current camel release when a bug was found and
fixed. The problem was that we almost every time found another problem
in the new release.
So what I did in the end was building our own release with the patches
to the bugs we had. This worked very well but not every customer wants
to do this.

Patch releases like 2.7.3 give the customer the fixes they need without
the breaking changes that cause new bugs. So from a customer standpoint
patch releases are very valueable. Of course they make life for us more
complicated so I think we should mostly only support one patch release
and one feature release at the same time. Of course a company like Fuse
or Talend can also do patch releases on their own but I think it is
better to have these releases at apache so it is transparent to the
customer what is in each release and he has no fear of vendor lock in.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de