camel-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <>
Subject Re: Editing and removing pages on Apache Camel website without discussing first
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 08:38:36 GMT
On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Rob Davies <> wrote:
> I've corresponded with Hadrian about this off list.
> Whilst I understand the sentiment, this policy certainly wasn't clear to me or other
PMC members. Whilst  there are occasional links to external information, mainly at FuseSource,
these are historical and done in the context of providing information to new users and developers
whilst we growing the Camel community, to be one of the most successful and widely used projects
at Apache today. This isn't unique to Apache Camel, its a methodology  we've successfully
followed whilst initiating and growing ActiveMQ, ServiceMix, Karaf and CXF - to get as much
information into users hands as early as possible, from whatever source that maybe.
> Given where Camel is today, its absolutely right to have a level playing ground - but
what I would like to see is that this policy is clearly understood by everyone - and not handled
in off list conversations.
> I would like to propose that from now on all links to 3rd party distributions or usages
of Apache Camel in a 3rd party product are put into (but not limited to) the following 4 categories:
> 1. support
> 2. Articles
> 3. Tutorials
> 4. Tools
> And there is a grace period  (till end of June 2011) to move links to external information
to one of these areas by the authors, else it they will be deleted.

What about FAQ?

Thinking about it, it would make sense to be able to refer to 3rd
party products or companies from a FAQ.
For example we already do this by the - How does Camel compare to
Mule. Where Mule is a product from MuleSoft.

> Here's my +1
> On 3 May 2011, at 16:52, Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:
>> No, there are things that are not up to the community to decide. I drew attention
when some changes were made that that was a mistake and my impression was that the point was
well taken. I also mentioned that if changes won't be removed by their authors I will. That
was months ago. If anything, I can be blamed for not making these changes earlier.
>> The Apache Camel project has a designated place to inform the users community of
commercial offerings [1]. And there are also the articles [2] and tutorials [3] pages that
can be used (within reason). Everything else a commercial organization has to say about offerings
related to the Apache projects can be done on their site.
>> I hope this clarifies it,
>> Hadrian
>> [1]
>> [2]
>> [3]
>> On May 3, 2011, at 11:36 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> This post is addressed to Hadrian who has been deleting and editing
>>> web pages from Apache Camel (today),
>>> which seems to be related to the fact those pages had information about Fuse.
>>> I would like to call out that such actions should have been discussed
>>> in the public at first and agreed upon by the community.
>>> Most of the information has been there for a long time and its related
>>> and relevant for Apache Camel.
>>> And of use for people who look into what Camel is.
>>> --
>>> Claus Ibsen
>>> -----------------
>>> FuseSource