camel-dev mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Editing and removing pages on Apache Camel website without discussing first
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 14:24:37 GMT
Mule is also an open source project and that had more of a relevance when Camel started and
was a Mule competitor. That page can go away too.

As James brilliantly stated: let's think of the Camel user's needs and address them. For needs
that go beyond a developer's need to understand and use Camel, such as getting support or
extra tools, the Camel community can add subtle hints (on the Support page as mentioned),
just because we're nice guys, but going beyond that is wrong. That's not our mission/role.
It may be your role as individuals/employees. Blog about it!

Hadrian

On May 4, 2011, at 4:38 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Rob Davies <rajdavies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've corresponded with Hadrian about this off list.
>>
>> Whilst I understand the sentiment, this policy certainly wasn't clear to me or other
PMC members. Whilst  there are occasional links to external information, mainly at FuseSource,
these are historical and done in the context of providing information to new users and developers
whilst we growing the Camel community, to be one of the most successful and widely used projects
at Apache today. This isn't unique to Apache Camel, its a methodology  we've successfully
followed whilst initiating and growing ActiveMQ, ServiceMix, Karaf and CXF - to get as much
information into users hands as early as possible, from whatever source that maybe.
>> Given where Camel is today, its absolutely right to have a level playing ground -
but what I would like to see is that this policy is clearly understood by everyone - and not
handled in off list conversations.

>> I would like to propose that from now on all links to 3rd party distributions or
usages of Apache Camel in a 3rd party product are put into (but not limited to) the following
4 categories:

>> 1. support
>> 2. Articles
>> 3. Tutorials
>> 4. Tools
>>
>> And there is a grace period  (till end of June 2011) to move links to external information
to one of these areas by the authors, else it they will be deleted.

> What about FAQ?
>
> Thinking about it, it would make sense to be able to refer to 3rd
> party products or companies from a FAQ.
> For example we already do this by the - How does Camel compare to
> Mule. Where Mule is a product from MuleSoft.
> http://camel.apache.org/how-does-camel-compare-to-mule.html
>

>> Here's my +1
>>
>> On 3 May 2011, at 16:52, Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:
>>
>>> No, there are things that are not up to the community to decide. I drew attention
when some changes were made that that was a mistake and my impression was that the point was
well taken. I also mentioned that if changes won't be removed by their authors I will. That
was months ago. If anything, I can be blamed for not making these changes earlier.

>>> The Apache Camel project has a designated place to inform the users community
of commercial offerings [1]. And there are also the articles [2] and tutorials [3] pages that
can be used (within reason). Everything else a commercial organization has to say about offerings
related to the Apache projects can be done on their site.