camel-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Editing and removing pages on Apache Camel website without discussing first
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 07:57:53 GMT
I think Books and Getting Started are great too - I would hate to see them deleted
On 4 May 2011, at 08:48, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Rob Davies <rajdavies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've corresponded with Hadrian about this off list.
>>
>> Whilst I understand the sentiment, this policy certainly wasn't clear to me or other
PMC members. Whilst  there are occasional links to external information, mainly at FuseSource,
these are historical and done in the context of providing information to new users and developers
whilst we growing the Camel community, to be one of the most successful and widely used projects
at Apache today. This isn't unique to Apache Camel, its a methodology  we've successfully
followed whilst initiating and growing ActiveMQ, ServiceMix, Karaf and CXF - to get as much
information into users hands as early as possible, from whatever source that maybe.
>> Given where Camel is today, its absolutely right to have a level playing ground -
but what I would like to see is that this policy is clearly understood by everyone - and not
handled in off list conversations.

>> I would like to propose that from now on all links to 3rd party distributions or
usages of Apache Camel in a 3rd party product are put into (but not limited to) the following
4 categories:

>> 1. support
>> 2. Articles
>> 3. Tutorials
>> 4. Tools
>>

> 5. Books
>
> What about the Getting Started page?
> (http://camel.apache.org/getting-started.html) It has links to
> Jonathans excellent article, that is IMHO one of the best source to
> introduce you to Camel. And as well the chapter 1 of the Camel in
> Action book (of course a great source as well). Are those links from
> the getting started page forbidden now?
>
> If so thats a PITA as new users should read Jonathans article. Then
> they are off to a great start.
>

>> And there is a grace period  (till end of June 2011) to move links to external information
to one of these areas by the authors, else it they will be deleted.

>> Here's my +1
>>
>> On 3 May 2011, at 16:52, Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:
>>
>>> No, there are things that are not up to the community to decide. I drew attention
when some changes were made that that was a mistake and my impression was that the point was
well taken. I also mentioned that if changes won't be removed by their authors I will. That
was months ago. If anything, I can be blamed for not making these changes earlier.

>>> The Apache Camel project has a designated place to inform the users community
of commercial offerings [1]. And there are also the articles [2] and tutorials [3] pages that
can be used (within reason). Everything else a commercial organization has to say about offerings
related to the Apache projects can be done on their site.