camel-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Guillaume Nodet <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Camel release cycle (was: Camel 2.5.1 release)
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:21:46 GMT
The good news is that we've found a workaround in ServiceMix so we
don't need a minor release anymore :-)
I think keeping our current 3 months release cycle as it has proven to
work very well those last years.

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 19:33, Hadrian Zbarcea <> wrote:
> Hi Willem,
> Personally I am in favor it and I could start the release builds immediately. However:
> 1. There is no camel-2.5.1 branch so one would have to be created. We could create a
camel-2.5 branch off of the 2.5.0 tag.
> 2. There is no precedent for having patch releases in Camel (3rd digit). It doesn't mean
we cannot start it (I would like that actually) but we need to discuss it and agree on something
> 3. If we do that it would make sense to have more formal support cycle for a version.
Camel imho got a maturity level that almost requires it.
> My preference would be a 6 weeks release cycle, meaning 2 releases per quarter. Patch
releases should be 100% backwards compatible (including dsl), no version upgrades for dependencies
and should only include bug fixes. Minor releases (2nd digit) could bring new features, components,
dependency upgrades (as we do it now). Major releases will be rare, but 3.0 is coming up.
> Thoughts/ideas/preferences?
> Hadrian
> On Dec 15, 2010, at 9:30 AM, Willem Jiang wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just found some issues[1][2] of camel-cxf in Camel 2.5.0 which cause the camel-nmr
component tests[3] failed. I didn't find a way to work round the camel issues without changing
the code camel.
>> As you know ServiceMix 4.3.0 releasing is on the way, if we let ServiceMix pick up
the latest Camel 2.6.0, there will be not just waiting for the Camel 2.6.0 release issue.
ServiceMix also need to upgrade it's CXF version to 2.3.x and prepare the bunch of new JAXWS,
JAXRS bundle release.
>> Now I propose to do Camel 2.5.1 release myself by merging the upper camel fix into
2.5 branch, In this way, we can fix the camel-nmr issue without blocking the ServiceMix 4.3.0
>> Any thoughts ?
>> [1]
>> [2]
>> [3]
>> --
>> Willem
>> ----------------------------------
>> FuseSource
>> Web:
>> Blog: (English)
>> (Chinese)
>> Twitter: willemjiang

Guillaume Nodet
Open Source SOA

View raw message