camel-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <>
Subject Re: helping out with the Web site
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:29:42 GMT
I want to make sure I understand a few of the issues here:

We want to make it as easy as possible for people to make changes to
the documentation.
Before a person can edit the wiki they need to sign an icla.
We don't let anyone change the code who hasn't been vetted by the
community and made a committer.
New comers must have their patches vetted by a commiter before they
can be applied.
Any one who signs an icla can change the documentation or Wiki without
being vetted.

If those statements are true I can see two issues:
1. The barrier for entry on adding content is already relatively high.
2. If the documentation is as important as the code, then why have the
barrier for entry be different? I say make it the same.

The tooling question is a different story. Tech writers are a strange
bunch and may be scared by maven, version control, or text editors. It
would be nice to have less "developery" editing tools.

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:15 AM, James Strachan
<> wrote:
> On 10 November 2010 15:00, Hadrian Zbarcea <> wrote:
>> That is true, but you can see your changes in the wiki right away.
>> I love the idea of having the docs version controlled, I understand all the benefits.
I am also convinced losing the ability to edit in place is a major community issue.
> "major community issue" is completely over the top IMHO.
> If it really is such an issue, maybe we should switch off subversion
> and put our source code on confluence too? We might get more
> contributions from people who can't use source control....
>> Documentation, as shown by the survey, is the #1 issue.
> and since we've had it for 3-4 years already, keeping Confluence is
> going to improve the documentation how?
> --
> James
> -------