camel-dev mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: helping out with the Web site
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:43:33 GMT
> And then for people to actually be able to edit the wiki page they
> have to sign up for the ICLA which takes a fair bit of time and for
> some people just scare them off.

This is a mandatory part as long as we include the manual in the distro.

Hadrian

On Nov 10, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbarcea@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That is true, but you can see your changes in the wiki right away.
>>
>> I love the idea of having the docs version controlled, I understand all the benefits.
I am also convinced losing the ability to edit in place is a major community issue. Can we
have both? We want to make it as easy as possible for people to contribute. Documentation,
as shown by the survey, is the #1 issue.

> I actually don't think we have had many wiki comments about
> suggestions for changes on the wiki documentation at Apache Camel.
> In my time I would guess its less than 10-20 comments I have seen for
> that, in 3 years.
>
> On the other hand if people could send a documentation patch I would
> assume we would have far more patches submitted to us, than the
> current number of comments we get on wiki.
>
> And then for people to actually be able to edit the wiki page they
> have to sign up for the ICLA which takes a fair bit of time and for
> some people just scare them off.
>
> So I suggest out first goal is the transition to have documentation in SVN.
> Then later we can work on a live web site for the people who may want
> to try editing from the web browser. But again if some infastracture
> software in the future can do this automatic, eg as James talks about
> they work on github. Or if Atlassian is working on some software for
> that as well, we can use at Apache.
>

>> Hadrian

to work (otherwise you get a "Failed to resolve artifact").

barrier to entry for those who want to contribute documentation. Today, one only needs to
have a icla signed at apache and edit the wiki in place. How is this solved?