camel-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] OSGI improvements
Date Fri, 07 May 2010 07:19:47 GMT
On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Guillaume Nodet <> wrote:
> I'm working on improving and refactoring the OSGi bits and I'd like to
> propose the following:
>  * make camel-osgi a plain jar just used to share common code between
> camel-blueprint and camel-spring
>      this jar would contain osgi specific classes and also common code for
> jaxb parsing / factory logic

>      both camel-spring and camel-blueprint would embed the classes defined
> here as to simplify deployment

How would that be possible for camel-spring to NOT require any osgi jars at all,
for people who simply want to use Camel in non osgi environments?

The problematic part as I see, is the "logic" which is required in
camel-spring to prepare the routes before they are ready to be used at
This logic is a bit extensive and would require to be duplicated for
blueprint as well.

This has annoyed me that camel-spring required this work, where as
camel-core would not (eg there is a potential difference between Java
DSL and Spring XML routes). Hence I have though of refactoring this
logic into camel-core so both Java DSL and Spring XML leverages it.
I have though of attempting that for Camel 3.0. But in light of this
we could consider moving this forward.

Then if implemented then camel-blueprint and camel-spring can be
independent of each other, as they are today.

>  * merge camel-spring-osgi back into camel-spring
>      this would be easier for end users i think as they would just have to
> deploy camel-spring and that's all
>      whether they are in an osgi environment or not would be transparent

Still I don't see this possible. Its important that OSGi does not
become invasive in any way for people not using it at all.
And that means no OSGi jars required at runtime.

> Thoughts ?
> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet