camel-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS - Camel 2.0] - Move not used components to a sandbox area
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 08:17:56 GMT
Damn, I forgot how much crappy unfinished code I'd written - great
catch Claus :)

2009/5/18 Claus Ibsen <claus.ibsen@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> In Camel 2.0 we have several components that are not used, abandoned
> and/or in a questionable quality. We have touched this issue before
> and kinda agreed to move them to a sandbox area in SVN. Maybe using a
> different name.

Having a sandbox project in subversion (say at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/camel/sandbox/) sounds like a good
idea (like Commons at Apache or Mojo at codehaus etc).

Leaving the sandbox as a fully working maven multi-project (so folks
can build/run/test the sandbox components) can act as a little
experimentation area where folks can drop in all kinds of wacky ideas
and experiments until they blossom into a fully formed component we
can add to the main trunk?

> I have compiled a list for suggested components to be moved:
> =================
>
> camel-activemq-web
> - not documented
> - not used
> - Kinda experiment code from James

I needed this for testing of Camel, ActiveMQ and camel-web; but since
it doesn't have any actual test cases I guess we can zap it :)

> camel-spring-javaconfig
> - depends on Spring JavaConfig SNAPSHOT
> - Spring JavaConfig is kinda @deprecated as its moved to be part of
> Spring 3.0 core
> - not documented
> - not used
> - Kinda experiment code from James
> - remove the camel-example-spring-javaconfig also

As Willem said - since JavaConfig is part of Spring 3, we should
absolutely have JavaConfig support out of the box

> camel-supercsv
> - has not been active maintained for a long time
> - not documented
> - not used
> - and we have 2-3 other CSV components (flatpack, csv, bindy)
>

> camel-swing
> - has not been active maintained for a long time
> - not documented
> - not used
> - confusing concept what you can integrate with Swing.
> - (Kinda experiment code from James)
>

> camel-uface
> - has not been active maintained for a long time
> - not documented
> - not used
> - confusing concept what you can integrate with Swing / UFace.
> - Kinda experiment code from James

Agreed with all the others above.

> And the next two is more up for debate
> ===================
>
> camel-testng
> - has not been active maintained for a long time
> - not documented
> - not used
> - testng is loosing the battle against JUnit 4.x

Yeah, its still of limited use

> camel-hamcrest
> - has not been active maintained for a long time
> - not documented
> - not used
> - we do not used it internally for unit testing either

Agreed. I hoped to round out this library one day to a bunch more
useful assertions, but have never got the chance.

Sorry! :)

--
James
-------