camel-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Implement protocol related components in Camel [WAS] Re: [Proposal] New components
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 18:25:19 GMT
This should not be too complicated to implement if needed.

The idea in JBI is that service assemblies (aka routes un camel) have
three real states: started, stopped and shutdown.
Started means that all endpoints are fully operational.  Shutdown
means that no exchanges will be processed.  The stopped state is the
interesting one: consumer endpoints will not accept any new requests
from the outside world but will still process existing requests. Other
provider endpoints fully process requets.  The goal is to ensure an
orderly shut down of assemblies and not loose any messages.  For
example a jms consumer will stop consuming jms messages from the
queue, but will still enqueue responses when they come back from the

If we are to support that in camel, we should do it in a way that we
can easily control the lifecycle of mixed applications (if you mix
servicemix endpoints and camel routes).

On 02/02/2009, James Strachan <> wrote:
> 2009/2/2 Guillaume Nodet <>:
>> It might be doable.  I guess the way to do that would be to define the
>> JBI endpoint as a wrapper to a camel endpoint.  When the JBI endpoint
>> would be initialized / started, a camel route would be created for it.
>>  Not sure how well camel endpoints can handle the JBI lifecycle where
>> new requests are not accepted, but existing exchanges are still
>> processed until completion (for a consumer endpoint).
> Could you give an example of a well behaving JBI endpoint that does
> this? I wonder how hard this would be to add; either at the
> Camel-Endpoint-As-JBI-Endpoint wrapper or inside Camel etc
> --
> James
> -------
> Open Source Integration