camel-dev mailing list archives

From "William Tam" <email.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] - Camel 2.0 - support # syntax in URI options
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2008 19:50:32 GMT
On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Claus Ibsen <claus.ibsen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Ramon Buckland <ramon@thebuckland.com> wrote:
>> +1 I like it.
>>
>> Would a feature such as auto-wiring be of any use also ?
>> so .. uri="foo:something?autowire=byname"
>>
>> This way, any bean available it the context is then auto-wired in ?
> Good idea. But is this autowire used much in pure spring? Personally I
> have always used explicit wiring.
>

>> one other point, if #beanName is to be used, make sure the fallback of
>> attempting to set the String '#someString' still works as it would be
>> iritating if a #someString is needed but can't be because it is reserved for
>> bean wiring.
> Good catch. So if there is a String setter and NO bean in registry it
> should fallback to set the string?
> We do have options that support multiple types such as an expression
> that can be string based and thus there is a setter that accepts a
> String.
> But we have overloaded the option with Expresison type as well. So we
> should be lenient on the String settable options ;)

if we fails to resolve a bean because of user's typo, it may be more
helpful to produce some descent error message than automatically
assume the value is a literal String.  Another potential problem is
the reverse scenario.  If the user means a literal string value, say
"#abc", and "abc" happens to be a resolved bean id (the user may not
know it), then the user won't be able to set the value to the literal
value.  Imagine the user has tested the URI and everything is happy.
The problem suddenly manifests itself when a bean is added.

So, if we make '#' a special character, I wonder we should provide a
way to escape the '#' character for users who do mean the literal
value.  That way, we don't need to try and error. The code can run a
bit faster.  The downside is, it can break existing configuration that
contains literal string value with '#' as the first character.

Another thought is, we can consider putting the meta information in
the key of the query rather than in the value.

For example, we put "bean:" in front of the key name as:

    file://inbox/?idempotent=true&bean:idempotentRepository=myJpaRepo

When we see "bean:" prefixing a key, then we treat myJpaRepo as bean
id.  If it can not be resolved, we will flag an error.  If "bean:" is
not there, the value is a string "myJpaRepo".  Since ':' is not a
valid Java variable name, we don't have to worry about "bean:"
clashing with key name.