camel-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [2.0] simplifying annotations, DSL and XML to remove uri + ref?
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 20:05:19 GMT
2008/12/1 Claus Ibsen <claus.ibsen@gmail.com>:
> Hi James
>
> Now that you have opened the discussion of simplifying stuff for 2.0 -
> that is great as we now have the luxury of being able to craft the API
> as we like.
>
> I have had this idea for a while and created a ticket for it: CAMEL-895
>
> The issue fired on me again last week with the work on the file
> consumer. I introduced new options that can be configured as
> - setter
> - URI option
> This is trivial for simple types as they can be specified directly as
> URI parameters, but for real objects this is a pain with URI. That is
> why we have a few xxxxRef options to refer to a bean in the Registry.
> However this xxxRef code has to be manually code for each and single
> one supported. So I figured why do we not support a "convention over
> configuration" or what it's called.
>
> So the idea is to:
> - support automatic registry lookup for all URI options ending with Ref - xxxRef

Am not so sure about that - but let me try sleep on it :)

I'd like to encourage folks to use regular Java code (either plain
Java code or Guice or Spring Java Config) to customise components or
endpoints which are complex. That way the IDE completion would be much
more powerful.

FooEndpoint endpoint = new FooEndpoint("someUri");
endpoint.setSomethingComplex(cheese);
camelContext.registerEndpoint(endpoint);

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration