camel-dev mailing list archives

From "Claus Ibsen" <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject About Component options, where and how
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 12:22:37 GMT
Hi

I am starting to conclude that I prefer to have all options a given
endpoint supports defined on the endpoint itself with getter/setters.

Pros
===
- One place to look what a endpoint/component supports
- End user can instantiate an endpoint using: URI options, Manual in
Java Code and use setters, Spring XML syntax as plain spring bean id,
etc. etc.
- Camel can automatic create consumers and producers for routes even
for endpoints defined by end user manually
- We can get rid of the consumer. prefix that you need to use for
delay that is confusing
- And more cumbersome to code with as we have options in several classes
- End user doesn't need to mess with manual java code to set option
that today must be set on the consumer manually, if he manually
creates the endpoint also
- Endpoint URI's is smaller as consumer. prefix should not be used

Cons
====
- Will break backwards compability if we move options from consumer to
endpoint (do not use consumer.) prefix

We have a few tickets to improve/more ease the configuration of
endpoints, created by James. To allow end users to create endpoints
and configure/wire them in spring XML is what they are used to.

Sadly some of the components I have messed with during my committer
carer has this flaw with mixed options, and even some options is not
visible at all from getter/setters (mina springs to my mind).

So I wanted to remedy this as a big task for Camel 2.0, but want to
have the feedback from the other Camel riders and the community as
well.

/Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer
Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/