camel-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Anstey" <jans...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving Camel to TLP ?
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:43:33 GMT
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Camel has a good and diverse self sustaining community and
> that it should aim to be a TLP now.
> Being a subproject of ActiveMQ is no more relevant imho.

I agree with this. Camel has come a long way since James first added it as a
subproject of ActiveMQ. I mean, just looking at the list of nabble activity
for apache projects (http://www.nabble.com/Apache-f90.html)... we're pretty
high up there. We're also seeing adoption of Camel in many other integration
style projects like ServiceMix, JBoss, OpenESB, etc.

> So I'd like to start writing a proposal that would be submitted to the
> board.
> We would have to come with a project charter,

What exactly is a project charter? Is it like a scope kinda thing? Maybe we
could just generalize the intro snippet on Camels homepage? Maybe something
like this (forgive if this is not even close to what is needed :) )

The Apache Camel project aims to provide an easy way of creating Enterprise
Integration Patterns<http://activemq.apache.org/camel/enterprise-integration-patterns.html>to
implement routing and mediation rules by way of using Domain
Specific Languages (or Fluent APIs)<http://activemq.apache.org/camel/dsl.html>.
Camel can easily work directly with any kind of
Transport<http://activemq.apache.org/camel/transport.html>or messaging
model by having an easily extensible core. Apache Camel is a
small library which has minimal
dependencies<http://activemq.apache.org/camel/what-are-the-dependencies.html>for
easy embedding in any Java application.

So basically,

- Its easy to use

- Creates EIPs with DSLs

- Highly extensible

- Small and embedable core

> decide what the PMC list
> will be and find a PMC chair.

Hmmm... maybe I'm not allowed to discuss this bit cause I'm not on the
ActiveMQ PMC ;)

--
Cheers,
Jon