camel-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FlatPack Component - Why LoadBalancer
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:18:38 GMT
2008/7/15 Claus Ibsen <ci@silverbullet.dk>:
> Hi
>
> The new component uses a loadbalancer consumer - what is the secret reason for this?
>
> I am asking because I am curious and I want to learn.

:)

So an endpoint can typically have many producers and zero or more
consumers. Sometimes an endpoint just processes messages it receives
and then sends out one or more messages. There's a handy base class,
ProcessorEndpoint which kinda does this - you just provide a Processor
and it adds the producer details.

Given that usually a producer is separate to a consumer and there
could be many of each; I've often reused the LoadBalancer abstraction
which represents all the consumers. (It could be just one or several)
- and chooses how to load balance requests across the given consumers.
In many cases where there is just one producer and one consumer then
it will just invoke the consumer - but if ever you created a number of
consumers you might want some kinda load balancing etc.

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration