camel-dev mailing list archives

From Gert Vanthienen <>
Subject Re: Roadmap after Camel 1.4 release
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2008 07:46:45 GMT

If we start working on th File and FTP components, we should try to make
sure that they support all the use cases currently supported by the
ServiceMix JBI components.  This will allow us to re-use the Camel
components inside the ServiceMix JBI components -- it makes no sense
having to maintain the core functionality of these components on both
projects, only the JBI packaging layer around is typical for ServiceMix
and would have to be maintained separately.

Claus Ibsen wrote:
> Hi
> Great move Gert with this roadmap mail.
> I just wanted to comment on the current roadmap in JIRA with 1.5 and 2.0. I do think
I going a few months back assigned a lot of the unscheduled task for either 1.5 or 2.0. Please
feel free to move the tasks they are not set by stone.
> Some of the stuff for 2.0 I feel should even be moved on some sort of "future" etc, for
instance the groovy and ruby DSL, it's a big task to add at least we also need all the documentation
and keeping the DSL up-to-date with the java. Just look at the Java and Spring XML where we
can't keep them reasonable in-sync.
> What I would like to contribute for 1.5 in the short run is:
> - improved documentation (great way for me to learn more)
> - improve my tutorial (we need more entry level stuff also)
> What I would love we did include in Camel 1.5
> - improve core components: file and FTP (must have that these are outstanding, most integrations
do work with files)
> - ease of use with webservices. The CXF stuff could be easier for new users to use. More
and better examples. Easier to use with POJO. I am sure Williem has great ideas here as well.

> - encoding for byte type converters (I think it's to late to be introduced in 2.0)
> - tracer to display the from node (help in diagnostics)
> - close the gap between java dsl and spring xml as also noted by willem
> - write more blogs about Camel (Isn't this a great way to attract people?)
> Med venlig hilsen
> Claus Ibsen
> Silverbullet
> Skovsgårdsvænget 21