camel-dev mailing list archives

From Gert Vanthienen <gert.vanthie...@skynet.be>
Subject Roadmap after Camel 1.4 release
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:43:53 GMT
L.S.,

Now that Camel 1.4 is out, we should probably take a look at the roadmap
for Camel 1.5 and 2.0.  There are already quite a few issues planned for
1.5 ([1]) and 2.0 ([2]).  Perhaps this is a good time to discuss the
long-term goals and add issues for those to JIRA as well.  Chatting with
James on IRC, he proposed we would focus on usability and tooling for
the next release.  Personally, I would also like to finish up the Scala
DSL and add a Maven archetype to allow people to really start using it,
so we can ship our next release with 3 full-fledged DSLs.  Any other
suggestions?

Whenever we start developing on Camel 2.0, we would have a great
opportunity to remove some of the deprecated methods that we
(re-)introduced with Camel 1.4 and do some other API breaking
refactorings (like reducing code cycles, adding parameters to the
TypeConverter methods -- e.g. for encoding, use verbs for the DSL,
...).  With a new major release number, users expect these kind of
changes, especially if we clearly add them to a migration guide in the
release documents.  Are we going to do an intermediate 1.5 release (only
deprecating methods as we move along) or will the next release be 2.0
instead?  Do we need to create a branch for allowing bug fixes for 1.4
to be released in a Camel 1.5, while trunk is moving towards 2.0?

On the documentation side of things, we already had a few
questions/remarks on improving the documentation about the DSLs
themselves.  Any suggestions on how we can do this?  There has also been
talk on revamping the look and feel of the website somewhat, to make it
easier for users to get started with Camel.  Any ideas on this?

Regards,

Gert

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/activemq/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=11020&fixfor=11922