camel-dev mailing list archives

From Gert Vanthienen <gert.vanthie...@skynet.be>
Subject ExchangePattern handling in Camel
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:39:12 GMT
L.S.,

If you look at the comments on CAMEL-688 and some of the others mails on
the commits, it looks like it is time we make up our minds what we want
to do with ExchangePattern handling inside Camel.  Up to now, the
ExchangePattern was there mostly for informational purposes -- e.g. to
transfer this information inside Camel when interacting with JBI or CXF
exchanges.

If it is just there for informational purposes however, we should try to
avoid implementing other behavior based on the MEP.  For example: for
CAMEL-688, we should follow on Claus' suggestion to just use
getOut(true) to force the 'out' message to be created.

On the other hand, if we really want to honor the ExchangePattern inside
Camel, the current patch is OK, but we probably also need a lot of other
changes.  Just an example: the PipeLine currently sends the incoming
exchange to the first target, even if this is an in-only exchange.  If
we want to go for strict MEP handling, we should probably change that
behavior so it always interacts with it targets in an in-out manner,
allowing them to send set the 'out' message content.

As I said: I think it's time we make up our minds here, because the
current situation is just a bit messy.  Personally, I would prefer to
keep Camel as lightweight and simple as possible, just keeping the
current behavior, where the MEP isn't influencing the behavior.

Regards,

Gert