camel-dev mailing list archives

From davsclaus <>
Subject Transfering more than just body from exchange to exchange
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2008 07:39:32 GMT

I was improving the patches from George (CAMEL-383) to be able to virtually
transfer a MinaExchange from one JVM to another JVM using camel.

The camel-mina component did only support transferring the body part.
So I had to inject a helper object that does the set the values on the
exchange (MinaPayloadHelper). This has the side effect that this helper
should always be used internally in camel-mina to set/get the values on
- 1) either body in/out as now
- 2) body in + out, header in + out, exchange properties + exception

My questions is:
a) Is there other parts in camel where a similar problem is resolved
b) Is there a more standard way of doing this in camel
c) Is #2 a feature we want to open up for in camel that is out-of-the-box
d) I tried to see if I could use other techniques such as DataFormat and a
new codec. But they all have the same problem as camel-mina did set the
values directly on the getOut().setBody(value) etc.
e) Should we transfer other parts of the exchange in #2 (I considered the
exchange id, but I think it should be unique on each JVM instead of a copy
from the previous exchange). There was no opening in the API to set the
f) The exchange have methods to copy from another exchange etc. Maybe we
should have an API to copy from other sources such that are not an Exchange
(as MinaPayloadHolder).

What are your thoughts?
Sent from the Camel - Development mailing list archive at

View raw message