camel-dev mailing list archives

From "William Tam" <>
Subject Re: a few comments on SedaComponent
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 19:48:17 GMT
> Ok i agree. But the problem is we are looking at the seda example
> which does NOT populate the out message.

Ok, I know seda component only supports in-only MEP and the producer
process is considered done once the exchange is enqueued.

I am kind of looking at the bigger picture.   Suppose
from("seda:queue").to("a") is my route and endpoint "a" supports
in-out MEP.  I'm afraid it is hard for me to get the populated
exchange back from of "a".  I realize that you are advising me not to
use seda componet and I have no problem with that.  So, is SEDA
strictly an in-only MEP architecture or is it a Camel impl specific?

> For example if this was an async http component instead, then no, the
> callback.done() method would not be called until the http component
> populated the out message.

IMO, it would be nicer if the sender don't have to think about the
type of endpoint including whether it supports in-out or not.   So, I
can make my send call in the same way (i.e. without worrying about
holding on to my exchange's reference for in-out MEP)    IMO, we
should pass the processed exchange to CB and let the CB worry about
MEP is used in the exchange.

In your example, the sender assumes the async http component does not
make copies of the exchange and populate the originals.  That's really
impl details of the async http component.

>  The point of the seda doing a copy is
> that once the message it enqueued, the consumer from that queue should
> not be working on exchange that could be changing behind it's back.
> But I still fail to see how this is related to passing the exchange as
> a parameter to the done method call.
If seda endpoint only supports in-only MEP and stays that way, then it
is really a moot point to talk about passing exchange back to the CB
at least in the context of seda component.

View raw message