camel-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Producer Consumer concepts need to be clarified
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:39:31 GMT
On 8/29/07, Nicky Sandhu <karajdaar@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am still not clear on the contractual difference between a Producer and
> Consumer.

The idea is a producer is used to send message Exchanges to an
endpoint. A Consumer is an object which consumes (processes) Exchange
objects from an endpoint. (So the terms map closely to the JMS
MessageProducer / MessageConsumer type model).

A Consumer is an instance of the Event Driven Consumer pattern i.e.
that the consumer will invoke the given Processor whenever an Exchange
is available.
ttp://activemq.apache.org/camel/event-driven-consumer.html

a PollingConsumer is a, well Polling Consumer :), the user will poll for events
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/polling-consumer.html

>  My context is the wiring service provided in OSGi and there is a
> clearly defined Producer and Consumer relationship, ie a Producer is
> something that can be polled and a Consumer is something that can be updated
> with a polled value. Ofcourse something can be both a Producer and Consumer
>
> In Camel's case Producer and Consumer are both Services (that is share
> lifecycle concepts such as start and stop). A Producer is a just a processor
> that can create exchanges in addition to being able to modify the in and out
> messages of the exchanges, no production semantics in the interface? A
> consumer is just a service, no consumption contract in interface ??

So in terms of the Processor object; a Producer is-a Processor, so the
caller can invoke the producer to 'send' a message exchange into the
endpoint (such as to write to a file, send a JMS message or perform
some remote in/out etc)

On the consuming side of the fence, to create a Consumer on an
Endpoint you provide a Processor which will be invoked when messages
arrive; i.e. a Processor is used just like a MessageListener might be
in JMS (or a Servlet)

I guess its kinda confusing that both the Producer side is a Processor
and to create a Consumer you provide a Processor; the aim was just to
promote polymorphism, making it eaiser to chain together producers &
consumers into pipelines etc.

--
James
-------