calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Stamatis Zampetakis <zabe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] State of the project 2019
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2019 06:25:03 GMT
It's been a great year so far. Thanks for your great work Francis, you did
an excellent job!

I also like a lot the way that the mailing list works and the fact that we
are very active. Apart from helping each other it also centralizes a lot of
information, where people may find an answer to their problem quite easily.
When I first started to learn about Calcite, the list and the archives were
indispensable.

It is also very positive that we don't encounter very often regressions
(and most of those encountered were minor), which shows that the quality
standards of the project are really high and reviewers are really paying
attention on what is going in. I believe a lot in the motto of quality over
quantity.

Although we are managing PRs a bit better than the previous years, we have
to improve more. I had in my mind that if people assigned to themselves the
review of the JIRA/PR the feeling of responsibility would make things
advance faster. I tried applying this to myself but it didn't really work
much better since there is certainly a lack of time. Other than lack of
time sometimes it is our diligence that makes PRs wait a long time till
they get merged. Given that we have a version control system (and at any
time we can go back in time) we should be more confident about committing
things faster.

Calcite is a great project that could be used in many different ways by
many people. Unfortunately, I think we are losing many users simply because
they are not aware that such a project exists. At least in Europe, academic
people and as a result university students, graduates, and future engineers
do not know that Calcite exists. I gave a talk last year in a university in
France, and nobody in the audience had ever heard of Calcite before. I
think such introductory talks in universities should be done more often.
The talks about Calcite in conferences is of course a great way to spread
the word; thanks to everybody who got involved in them and keep it up.

Thanks a lot for the nomination for PMC chair! I will be honoured and very
happy to serve if I am elected.

Best,
Stamatis