calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Chan <yuzhao....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] State of the project 2019
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2019 01:37:59 GMT
Thanks for the state summarize Francis Chuang ! And thanks for the awesome work for keeping
Calcite in good shape !

From my perspective, I really feel that Calcite is becoming more and more popular and there
are many new groups trying to use this great project, as a reviewer, I saw many contributions
from all kinds of people. And I feel very proud of that !

For the last year, I did many work to let Apache Flink and Calcite to have better integration,
and I believe there would be more and more people to make contributions and make Calcite more
pluggable and more suitable for production environments !

I also very enjoy the absolute harmony of the community, we are fire interesting discussions
on the mailing list and we did have some valuable conclusion(like the Join expression rework,
the trait sets propagation, the metadata etc.) And I felt very happy and respected to work
with you guys in the community. Let’s keep the good communications and output more valuable
design !

Thanks again to everyone !

Best,
Danny Chan
在 2019年10月22日 +0800 AM10:22,Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org>,写道:
> I agree that we’ve made good progress on last year’s big problem, pull requests languishing
for too long. The situation has been better, because a few people are putting in considerable
effort reviewing. We still have some ways to go, so let’s keep up the good work.

> One of the successes of the year was to arrange release managers for several releases
in advance. Each of the individuals stepped up and did a great job, and the release process
was as smooth as it could possibly be for a project of this size. Because the work was shared,
I think no individual felt that they were taking on an undue burden.

> I also want to mention the fact that we now have an awesome logo. Thank you for pushing
that change through!

> +1 for Stamatis as candidate for the next PMC chair. I was going to propose him also.
>
> I am proud that we have appointed a new person as PMC chair every year. Each chair has
brought a new perspective and energy to the role, and has advanced the community. Francis
is no exception, and he has kept Calcite in good shape. Thank you, Francis!

> We were discussing in another thread about whether we should cleave Avatica into a more
separate sub-project or top-level project. But I do note that Francis came from the Avatica
side of the project (Avatica Go, in fact) and yet effortlessly and effectively spoke for the
whole Calcite project. So, it gives me hope that there is still cohesion between the Calcite
and Avatica communities.