calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Documentation around writing a custom cost factory
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2017 16:43:02 GMT

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 12:14 AM, Hussain Pirosha <hussain.pirosha@impetus.co.in> wrote:
>
> Thanks Julian.
>
> Spending more time with calcite code on computing cost, I have few questions.
>
> 1. The cost of the plan is the sum of all the  converted (datasource specific) RelNodes
?

Yes. The cost of a plan is the sum of the costs of its constituent RelNodes.

> 2. the computeSelfCost method shall calculate the cost by using the RelMetaDataQuery.
Can you point to some example or impl where RelMetaData has been implemented or can be used
as a reference?

Not sure what you mean. There is no “RelMetaData” class or interface.

RelMetadataTest should give you some clues (especially if you run it in a debugger).

I’m not the best person to write the documentation you need. Has anyone implemented a metadata
provider in a project that uses Calcite? If so, please share what worked.

Julian