calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Hussain Pirosha <hussain.piro...@impetus.co.in>
Subject RE: Documentation around writing a custom cost factory
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2017 07:14:58 GMT
Thanks Julian.

Spending more time with calcite code on computing cost, I have few questions.

1. The cost of the plan is the sum of all the  converted (datasource specific) RelNodes ?
2. the computeSelfCost method shall calculate the cost by using the RelMetaDataQuery. Can
you point to some example or impl where RelMetaData has been implemented or can be used as
a reference?

Thanks,
Hussain

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Hyde [mailto:jhyde@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2017 12:32 AM
To: dev@calcite.apache.org
Subject: Re: Documentation around writing a custom cost factory

You’re talking about RelOptCostFactory, right? I don’t think there is any documentation.
Sorry.

I found this: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/optiq-dev/Q0_ix4fyivs <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/optiq-dev/Q0_ix4fyivs>

Julian

> On Feb 28, 2017, at 10:29 PM, Hussain Pirosha <hussain.pirosha@impetus.co.in> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I was looking for some documentation/example on plugging in a cost factory.
> Once the logical plan is converted to actual execution plan,  what all api's are used
by the planner in calculating cost.

> Any pointers regarding the working of cost factory and how it is used by a planner shall
be helpful.

> Thanks,
> Hussain

interception or interference.