calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cluster mismatch between RelNodes of a query and a materialized view
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2017 17:05:30 GMT
The argument should be a RelOptCluster, not a RelOptPlanner. The link from RelNode to planner
is indirect currently (via cluster) and will be non-existent after CALCITE-1536.

I question whether we need a new method. Putting an abstract method on RelNode is a huge burden
because every RelNode sub-class needs to be fixed when people upgrade. Even a non-abstract
method imposes a conceptual burden: more methods to understand.

So, my approach would be to sub-class RelShuttle. It’s sufficient that it only works for
LogicalXxx nodes.

No need to copy RexNode expressions. They are immutable.

Julian

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 4:14 AM, Remus Rusanu <rrusanu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> I created CALCITE-1681 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1681 and I intent
to work on it for finishing HIVE-15708.
> My current thinking is to create a RelCopier based on RelShuttle and add a new abstract
RelNode.copyTo(RelOptPlanner) that each concrete Rel type must override. The Rex part is already
handled by the existing RexCopier.

> Thanks,
> ~Remus
>
> On 3/6/17, 12:30 PM, "Julian Hyde" <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
>
>    Every RelNode belongs to a RelOptCluster, and basically there is one RelOptCluster
created each time a query is prepared. When working with materialized views, the view’s
query is represented as a tree of RelNodes, that tree is used for optimizing more than one
query. When planning a particular query, the nodes of that query will have a different RelOptCluster
than the nodes of the materialized view(s) they are matched against.

>    How do we deal with this? Do we copy the nodes into the query’s cluster once we
have found a match? If so, how? I couldn’t find a sub-class of RelVisitor or RelShuttle
that copies trees to a different RelOptCluster.

>    By the way, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1536 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1536>
aims to improve the RelNode life-cycle but I don’t think it will solve this problem.