calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Board report
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 04:49:51 GMT
Now we are a top-level project we need to submit a report to the Apache Board; at first monthly,
then every 3 months.

As Chair, it is my responsibility to file the report, but I need your help writing a report
that accurately describes the state of the project.

Here is my proposed report for the 12/16 Board meeting. I need to file before 12/9. Let me
know comments/corrections in the next 24 hours.

Julian

-----------------

Attachment J: Report from the Apache Calcite Project  [Julian Hyde]

## Description

 Apache Calcite is a highly customizable engine for parsing and
 planning queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows
 database-like access, and in particular a SQL interface and advanced
 query optimization, for data not residing in a traditional database.

 As a framework, Calcite’s audience is fairly small, consisting
 mainly of developers building data engines (Drill, Phoenix, Hive for
 example).

 Calcite graduated from the Apache Incubator on October 21, 2015.
 Since graduation, we have completed the transition incubating to
 top-level infrastructure, appointed two new committers, and made one
 release.

## Issues:
- There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:
- 1 release since the last report in November.
- We fixed the branding issues mentioned in the last report; the web site
- List, JIRA, and commit activity are at or above average.
- Release 1.5 took a bit longer than average; we expect release 1.6
  will be on the shorter side. This release has no grand goals, but
  contributors are contributing improvements in their own particular
  areas of interest: improved constant reduction, streaming, support
  for sequences are examples.

## PMC changes:

- Currently 13 PMC members.
- No new PMC members added since graduation

## Committer base changes:

- Currently 11 committers.
- New committers:
   - Josh Elser was added as a committer on Sun Nov 08 2015
   - Wei (Maryann) Xue was added as a committer on Sun Nov 08 2015

## Releases:

- 1.5.0 was released on Mon Nov 09 2015

## Mailing list activity:

- dev@calcite.apache.org: