calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: August 2015 Report
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2015 18:38:37 GMT
Here's the draft report. I'll add it to
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2015 shortly. Any
errors/omissions?

In particular, what do people think of the "Three most important
issues to address in the move towards graduation" section? I think
we're ready to graduate.

Julian

---

Calcite

Calcite is a highly customizable engine for parsing and planning queries on
data in a wide variety of formats. It allows database-like access, and in
particular a SQL interface and advanced query optimization, for data not
residing in a traditional database. (Renamed from Optiq on 2014-09-30.)

Calcite has been incubating since 2014-05-19.

  1. Add more PPMC members.
  2. Demonstrate community robustness by rotating project tasks among
     multiple project members.
  3. There is no third thing. We are almost ready to graduate.

aware of?

  None.

  The last report was in April. (We are reporting a month late, because
  we missed the July report.)

  In July, there were 148 messages on dev@, 37 commits, 44 issues
  created, 39 issues resolved by 10 contributors.

  Diversity is improving. The 1.4 release will be the first release for
  which Julian Hyde was not release manager.

  Julian Hyde won best lightning talk at XLDB 2015 in May with the talk
  "Apache Calcite: One planner fits all".

  Tom Barber spoke about Calcite at ApacheCon NA in April.

  Collaborations with other Apache projects continue:
   * Phoenix has built a remote JDBC driver using Calciteā€™s Avatica
     component.
   * Phoenix is replacing their SQL parser & planner with Calcite.
   * Samza is developing support for streaming SQL queries using
      Calcite for parsing and planning.
   * Kylin upgraded from 0.9.2 to 1.3.
   * Collaboration with Hive and Drill continues.

  We completed releases 1.2 and 1.3, and are preparing 1.4.

Date of last release:

  2015-05-30 apache-calcite-1.3.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  2015-04-24 5 new committers
  2015-12-31 1 new PMC member