calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Nadeau <jacq...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The art of the commit comment
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2015 02:40:53 GMT
My goal is to avoid the expectation that a committer should be manually
editing every commit.  Ideally we should get to a point where that is
unnecessary.  Proposed patches/pull requests should be mergeable as is.

Looking at both git log and github [1], an author is given clear credit
when different than committer.  I think the best type of credit.  It is the
way people's github profiles get associated with their work.  We should
require commits to have author tags to provide maximum recognition to
contributors.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/drill/commit/a219f8784c55ce3bc15b9bb3a19d7b33e4021c00

(note how Hsuan is given credit even though Parth is committer)