calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The art of the commit comment
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:35:32 GMT
I agree with what Vladimir and Jinfeng have said.

We should make it clear that we prefer contributions via pull request over patches. Then the
authorship is already in the contribution.

But if the contribution comes via a patch, I like Vladimir’s suggestion to use use “git
—amend —author”.

We had a similar discussion a few months back. James Taylor suggested[1] adding the author’s
name in parentheses, which is what they do in Phoenix and HBase. I still think that is the
right policy. Even though it is redundant, it gives people credit, and that helps to build
community.

Julian

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/calcite-dev/201412.mbox/%3CCAAF1JdjW2psSPLEGyM3YA_bCTVcNWTvNiwLHpL-CJ4-CFy-mbA@mail.gmail.com%3E