buildr-users mailing list archives

From Chris Bozic <>
Subject Buildr test behavior
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 01:11:27 GMT
I have a buildr test behavior situation and I'd like to respectfully get
some opinions.   I have a typical Java project where I have source code
under src/main/java and I have test code under src/test/java.  Suppose I
start by running "buildr clean test" which runs all tests after compiling
everything.  Next, suppose I add a test method to an existing test class
under src/test/java without touching any code under src/main/java.  Now, I
want to execute that new test by running "buildr test"

What should happen next?
a) Buildr compiles the new test and executes it
b) Buildr ignores the new test because no files under src/main/java were

Currently, choice B happens and most of the time under different use-cases
I think that's great!  However, with the use-case I describe, I'm not sure
it's good.  It's possible that in larger projects with several sub-projects
(each with their own tests) that a developer might think Buildr executed
the new test and perceive a false "success".  This situation is worsened if
the new test fails when it actually is executed revealing a bug in
src/main/java that might now go overlooked because of this behavior in

I wonder what others think of this situation.  Am I missing something?

Chris Bozic

Running Buildr 1.4.9