buildr-users mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <>
Subject Re: Buildr::Unzip and tgz files
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:58:55 GMT
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Damian Monogue <> wrote:

> I was working with one of our developers today, and he mentioned he'd
> noticed something odd when building his application. We create a tgz file
> at one point during the build process, and then we use that artifact later
> on to create a solaris .pkg file. But, when running that tgz through
> Builder::Unzip#extract it does not retain permissions.
> I went and looked through the docs, and when viewing the source for the
> extract method, I notice that the tgz handler has the following commented
> out, but the zip handler does not:  entry.restore_permissions = true .

Sidenote:  It's commented but even if it wasn't, it wouldn't work because
the entry itself isn't used to create the file -- we use File#open to
recreate it so it requires an explicit call to set permissions.

Is this an oversight, or was there some reason for this that I'm not
> seeing? While we can probably use a zip and be fine, we would prefer to use
> tarballs.

Looks like an oversight to me.   Is this something you think you can fix
and send a patch for?  If not, I can work on it later this week.