buildr-users mailing list archives

From Antoine Toulme <>
Subject Re: Working example for running Eclipse PDE-tests with buildr & buildr4osgi
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:42:09 GMT

it's good to hear you got something working.

I would recommend you start a plugin from a clean slate, creating tests
each step of the way. It is the most challenging approach though.
Any of the other approaches you mention are ok too - keep in mind you're
doing the work, you're in charge :)
I would also look around for the guys behind the buildr bnd integration.
They may have use for this code too.

1) Yes, definitely an issue for OSGi plugins. The way Maven approaches this
is by defining those test projects as integration tests. I think that's the
way to go.

2) That can resolve itself if you use integration tests, I think. Worth
playing with.

3) You shell out to java instead of using the built-in java capabilities of
Buildr. Your code is not tested and is assuming paths use slashes, which is
not true on Windows (File.join is the right way, or File.expand_path).
You have a very big task to run the whole test - I would look at getting
used to Rake's mind mangling decomposing and create a graph of dependencies.

Good luck!

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 08:35, Niklaus Giger